Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

Renting out a 'spare' room

Newsletter issue – November 2022

The children are gone and there is an unoccupied 'spare' room. Apart from using the room as extra storage, renting it out is another option that can enable use of the space as well as bringing in some extra cash. The trend for letting spare rooms is increasing with websites such as Easyroommate, Gumtree and Hosts International making it easy to find someone to use the spare room on a long-term basis. There are tax implications, but you may find that there is no or little tax to pay.

Rent a room relief

'Rent-A-Room' relief allows property owners who let out spare furnished rooms in their only or main home to receive up to £7,500 per annum gross and not be subject to tax. The relief is automatic where the rental income is less than the threshold.

If the rent received exceeds £7,500, the first £7,500 is tax free, income tax being paid on the balance. However, the limit is not reduced if the room is let for less than 12 months, or if rented for only one month or just rented out in term time.

To claim the relief, the owner and lodger must occupy the property for at least part of the letting period in each tax year of claim. A comparison can be made year on year and the method changed to cater for whichever produces the better result. The claim is made by a tick in a box on the tax return.

Property Allowance

The Property Allowance is only available to individuals, and provides full tax relief if an individual's property income for the year is less than £1,000. If the allowance covers the income, a tax return is not required unless the landlord has other income subject to self-assessment. However, landlords who qualify for relief in one year need to monitor their property income year on year as if it goes above £1,000 they will be required to register and submit returns.

A partial relief claim is available where the property income exceeds £1,000. Under this claim a landlord can choose either to:

  • Deduct actual property business expenses from the income in the usual way; or
  • Elect for the £1,000 property allowance to be given as a deduction from income instead.

Mixture or both?

A 'rent-a-room' property business cannot also qualify for the Property Allowance nor is it available should the landlord qualify for 'rent-a-room' relief but chooses not to claim. Therefore should the income exceed the £7,500 'rent a room' limit a claim for Property Allowance cannot be claimed instead. As such, the Property Allowance is most likely to benefit landlords of commercial property lettings or holiday homes with minimal expenses. The 'rent a room relief' is more likely to be tax efficient for those with a 'spare room to fill.

Newsletter SubscriptionPlease enter your details

Book a Free, No Obligation Consultation

Take advantage of a free consultation to see how you can benefit from using Stanhope accountancy and advisory and find out the best way to deal with your tax, accounting and how to minimise your tax liabilities. Book now >

Get a Fixed Quote

We believe you should always be in control of your finances. For this reason we can offer many of our services on a fixed fee basis on agreed services >

Profitability Strategies

We can help you develop strategies to help your business grow without increasing costs specialized tax incentives to produce multiple benefits and help you increase your profit >

Your Business

Expert tax planning advice any size business tailored to you >